5.13.2009

thesis progress

So for my deadline on Monday, I wanted to focus on producing a full-scale model of my packaging to show my group and Lis how the thing is actually going to work. Since I have a tendency to wait till the last minute to put my packaging together, I wanted to avoid that by doing it first and having it planned out before I start doing the really time-consuming part: the actual game.



This is a dieline for the whole outside of the box, keeping in mind that the actual visuals on the box were done quickly just to differentiate between the sides. The red/green/blue folds in half over itself and is attached to the bottom/top with 1" strips. The yellow squares fold in half diagonally to form triangles. The tabs created by the triangles and the squares in the center slide into the red/green side pockets created by the fold. The box is all attached as one piece, minimizing the amount of cutting and maximizing visual potential.


This would be the view of the box all folded out and laid flat. As you can see, the folded sides are perfect spaces to put some kind of placeholder for the pieces or activity supplies. The center design is a placeholder design that would be permanently attached (and covers the 1" piece attachments to the top/bottom. Corner holders would then keep the removable boards in place during play, allowing them to be changed depending on the problem, issue, argument, or scenario.



This is a dieline for the insert tray that would hold all the pieces, boards, cards, and activities. The multi-colored rectangles on the right top/bottom are the barriers that section off the tray. The center square on the right is actually the bottom piece (I want every inch to be considered and not show and places where its been glued or attached). This also folds much like the box itself, but will be permanently assembled to make it slide out first before the box opens completely. 

As I've said before, I want this to be completely different than other board games, showing the couple that the designer cares about them and their problems and wants to help solve them easily and efficiently. 

UPDATE: Thanks Jimmy for suggesting the use of magnets to keep the corners from coming apart so easily. It will also look nicer too because it won't make me have to mangle the sides of the board when it's folded out.

No comments:

Post a Comment