5.18.2009

reading response #11

"Setting up a Studio" from How to be a Graphic Designer, Without Losing your Soul by Adrian Shaughnessy


Oh yeah, this is so what my studio would look like. Live Worm Studio is the professional Graphic Design Studio at Queensland College of Art, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia. The studio runs commercial graphic projects for students to gain professional experience and to build up their portfolio's. Compulsory studio classes are also run through Live Worm Studio. 

A friend of mine and I have been talking about opening a studio since we first met in the program last year. Our styles are so different, yet the two of us work seamlessly together, balancing out her organic flow with my modern structure. I didn't realize that outside of just renting a building, throwing all our supplies in it and coming up with a logo, there would be so much to do to make our studio work. Coming up with/dividing roles, making a business plan, getting funding, registering the business...and this is all before coming up with a name and identity. 

Shaugnessy's point about a designer's authorship and the importance of that really spoke to me. I am really still struggling to find a really set and defined style for myself; I waver between clean modernity and musically inspired fluidity, but all while keeping a structure. I don't know if going to a firm would help me refine my style or stunt my growth; opening my own studio would certainly help me more quickly define my style. I've always been a chameleon though; I like to fit my style to my client's needs and not restrict their possibilities to what I "normally" do. 

1 comment:

  1. Ultimate Web Site Designing, the Internet users are the people who are going to purchase your products and services, not the search engines. This is typically where the problem initially lies, because online visitors will not be able to find your Website if it is not constructed with both the visitors and the search engines in mind.

    ReplyDelete