4.21.2009

term long inspiration

I've been searching the web for some inspiration for my term long project. I'm thinking about doing a game/kit for couples, similar to these kinds of games (but a lot less sex oriented):

  
  
I especially love the Truth or Dare packaging (top left), using old-fashioned type and silhouettes and a card-based system. 

But for the actual look and feel, I have a couple different ideas.

I just about died when I saw this AMAZING Monopoly re-design. The icons are simple, the color palette is muted and subtle, and the whole thing just looks classy as hell. This was my first idea, going with a simple color and type palette and relying on icons to convey information visually.


I've always admired packaging (and everything else) from the 1950s; the bright colors with halftone photographs is an aesthetic that I think will work really well with my concept. 

And my 'just for fun' link:
Undoboy is a Portland, OR based designer that loves robots and bright colors, and his packaging is an interactive, integrated part of the product itself. I love his ideas and hope my packaging can be as fun as this is!

My next step is to now create my survey that will help me to find out what subjects, issues, problems, or arguments couples have the most. Here are some links to articles that talk about some of the problems "experts" find most common:
  • WebMD.Com talks about 7 common problems in relationships, including communication, sex, money, division of chores, prioritizing, conflict, and trust. 
  • Suite101.Com points to fears that cause issues, including fear of commitment, fear of intimacy, and fear of change.
  • Suite101.Com has another article about the 10 most common problems couples face, including lying/cheating, imbalance of power, isolation, lack of self-knowledge, etc.
These articles are helpful for narrowing down what issues to focus on, but I want to pick a main 3-5 that are universal enough to design a flowchart for. Please help me out by commenting to this post with an answer to one (or all if you want!) of these questions:
1. My partner makes me so mad when they ________.
2. The thing I find myself arguing about the most with my partner is ________. 
3. Something my partner and I never fight about is ________.
4. The hardest issue for my partner and I to work through is ________.
5. I most want my partner and I to solve our problems with ________.

No comments:

Post a Comment