6.12.2009

reading response #12

"Running a Studio" from How to be a Graphic Designer, Without Losing your Soul by Adrian Shaughnessy


The perfect office space...

I like the idea of treating your employees like gods. I wish all employers thought like that :)

But I digress. An interesting point Shaughnessy brings up is about studio growth. Setting up a studio is a task in and of itself; now I have to hire employees? I thought this was a one-man ship.


But I suppose this isn't the wisest way to run a studio. So, when I hire people, our work gets more fabulous and more businesses want to employ us. In turn, I have to hire more people to keep up with the workflow and overhead. But this doesn't seem to be such a bad thing; the designers I employ can be extra sets of eyes to avoid making mistakes and make the pieces coming out of our firm to be extra-special. So growing is not always a bad thing, but Shaughnessy (and myself) seem to be in favor of the small studio set-up. 

Marissa and I have been talking a lot lately about what we want to do when we set up a studio. We imagine a pool of designers with particular and set skills taking on different aspects of each job to make one cohesive and collaborative piece, not the conception of one designer and then their assistants do all the work. We think this is a great way of meeting other designers and building a stronger community while doing so.

Shaugnessy also includes a section about coming up with a studio philosophy. I never really thought about doing this myself, but it made me start thinking. In my studio, my designers would be equal participants, that is to say that it would not just be my studio but everyone's who is involved in the process. I wouldn't want to put restrictions on the style or what kind of jobs we take on, but I get the feeling that being eco-friendly and sustainable will be one of my main goals. Not only is this a personal conviction for many designers already, it's also a far better aesthetic choice for a lot of projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment