6.12.2009

reading response #16

"The Creative Process" from How to be a Graphic Designer, Without Losing your Soul by Adrian Shaughnessy


The original intent gets lost in the creative process...

This chapter really helped me think about ways to start improving my own work. The creative process does not start when I begin drawing ideas. It actually started when I first decided I wanted to do design. I began to see everything in terms of good or bad, boring or exciting, terrible fonts upon terrible layouts that I so desperately want to fix and have ideas for. But in terms of on one project, you start with a brief. I didn't realize that you don't always make your own briefs, and Shaughnessy actually doesn't refer to these types until later in the section. I also didn't realize that the brief is not always well thought-out, well-written, or even written at all. You might even have to re-design the brief before you begin your re-design for the company itself. But we've written briefs several times now, and I feel that they are an extremely helpful tool in organizing your project in terms of objectives and goals you wish you accomplish with your design. I constantly refer to my briefs when I'm working to keep reminding myself what I want my design to say when people see it. 

Then you research, which is my least favorite part. Studying the competition is something I do like to do; looking at other people's designs really inspires me to do better and improve on things they may have missed. Humorously, Shaughnessy mentions you should always read the text you're using for your piece, and this is almost the best kind of research because it tells you everything you need to know about the message of the piece. It seems obvious, but I guess a lot of designers don't do that. 

Shaughnessy brings up the computer vs. digital argument relating to process. Using a computer makes it hard to remember to save separate copies and keep all your process because it takes up your hard drive and often, you don't want anyone to see it anyways. But keeping your process lets you go back and remember what working on that piece was like and what you want to do differently, an excellent learning tool. But the computer also makes it possible for a lot of people who have no clue what they're doing to hop on a computer and make up logos and business materials and think it's good enough. 

So now we have to start wading through all the crap, choosing good work without always knowing the criteria. There are 3 that Shaughnessy leaves us with. 
1. Is the client happy?
2. Is the job profitable in more ways than just monetarily (like did more people hear about you because of it)?
3. Did your job attract attention and attract more work?

Ah, guidelines to live by. As long as you accomplish these with your piece, someone's going to be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment